09 July 2013

Being a tourist, finally.

Yesterday was good. Not just good but great.

 photo summer2013_DSC_5367_zps8e88a530.jpgI finally felt like a tourist in the city I live in. Not the annoying kind but just truly curious kind. I had the perfect excuse too. My friends, Debbie and Paul, from Scotland were visiting a township in the area and had a day to spare. Luckily for me, they spent it with me.

I managed to convince Jayde to take a half day as well. I'm so glad he could take off work. I went to the embassy earlier in the morning and killed a couple hours in Sandton at Nelson Mandela Square. I went into a store and spent money I didn't mean to. So, after decided to kill time in a coffeeshop and grab a sandwich to keep myself from the temptation of spending unnecessary money.

After a couple hours, Jayde, Debbie and Paul picked me up and we went on a whirlwind tour of Johannesburg. We went over the Mandela Bridge and headed to Newtown.

Newtown was pretty dead on a Monday but Paul got some much needed fried chicken to make it worth our while. Newtown is a really cool part of the city. It's filled with history, old buildings and is known for it's artistic culture and museums.

Then we went to braamfontein. I like braamfontein a lot. It's filled with lots of little coffeeshops and boutiques. We went to one and I can't remember the name for the life of me but we all got the daily brew which wasn't coffee at all but a mix of mint + honey + lemon + one other ingredient that has left my mind blank. The shop designs of the area are so fun and colorful. Very much the minimalistic style.  Also, my kind of style. My next goal is to head to braamfontein on a Saturday to check out the Neighbourgoods Market.

After we got our architectural and coffeeshop kicks we went to the Johannesburg Botanical gardens. Despite it being winter right now, it was actually a perfect afternoon to take a walk and explore nature.
The botanical gardens have a lot to offer and my personal favorite. The rose garden with perfectly placed benches to take the beauty in and smell the aroma.

It was a great day and we ended the night with sitting down for dinner, drinking sangria and chatting the night away until we had to depart from our friends.

Although it was a whirlwind of the city, I'd say it was a pretty successful Johannesburg in 24 hours.

 photo summer2013_DSC_5369_zpsc83d7bd0.jpg photo summer2013_DSC_5375_zps954c6f64.jpg photo summer2013_DSC_5374_zpse4f3cdd3.jpg
 photo summer2013_DSC_5372_zpsf8f8162a.jpg photo summer2013_DSC_5389_zpse9255af9.jpg photo summer2013_paulanddebbie_zps8920493a.jpg photo summer2013_DSC_5404_zps57741b6c.jpg photo summer2013_DSC_5397_zps8f8e0f9f.jpg
 photo summer2013_DSC_5417_zpsac4eebe8.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment