17 December 2013

On Christmas.

Let's be honest, I've yet to have one of those emotional revelations of the holidays this year. The typical one that I seem to rush the words out to make me feel connected to the rest of the world. Most holidays don't seem like holidays right now. A lot of it is environment and different perspectives and I'm in a completely different country all together that doesn't have snow a only couple hours away. Fireplaces and hot cocoa filled with marshmallows aren't even close to being mumbled on someone's lips. If fact, the only reason I know it's cold other places is the amount of pictures of snow and the hundreds of snow day facebook status' running wild. 

The truth is, I went swimming yesterday and basked in the sun. Because it is summer. My mom sent me a picture of a christmas tree and maybe that helped a bit knowing she was getting in the spirit... Still, I'm far removed from most things that I associate with the holidays. It's weird. 

I didn't have thanksgiving and the now traditional tree decorating the day after christmas with the Duke/Hypes family. I didn't have my first Starbucks Peppermint Mocha commemorating the holiday season. I didn't have the typical conversation with Jessi's grandma and family trying to find the closest starbucks that is always at least 10 minutes away...but I prevail anyways. 

It's strange how we associate those things. And without those associations those feelings don't seem to surface quite like they are supposed to. I've never been a fan of Christmas. 

Let's rephrase that. I've never been a fan of what Christmas' baggage brings. I hate that I never felt up to par with other children, but now I hate the fact that I felt like that. Because I was missing the mark. But I love Christmas. I love the unity of what it is meant to represent. I love how half of the traditions really do have a deeper meaning associated with or how even in, if not in original origin, new traditions symbolically symbolize a meaning bringing rebirth or all new purpose to something that adds into the christmas story. 

It's really is beautiful. 

I've never been a tacky, cheesy person though. I find myself to like classy things. (Maybe it's my opinion.) (people that have seen otherwise, wash it from your minds. yes, even that one, funny time.) (yes, I'm talking to you)

Christmas Music. 

I don't enjoy it. 

Minus Hanson's Christmas or N'SYNC's christmas albums. You know what I'm talking about. 

But in the last couple of years I have found a few albums that I think are beautiful and not-really cheesy in the slightest and I'd love to share. 


A compilation of 4 volumes of music by talented artist of all different variety bringing meaningful and some fun songs to the masses. Tyrone Wells, Tim Timmons, Evan Wickham, Pawnshop Kings, etc...
Every Christmas season they do a tour that feels like family living room sessions and after these sessions, whether you were in the spirit or not, you feel grateful for the season and the compilation brings new light on life. 


It's free and beautiful. 

"Each year I record a Christmas cover song and give it away for free. It’s my version of a Christmas card. This has been tradition for many years now… for so many years in fact that it has accumulated (like snow) into this13-song Christmas album, I call my "Christmas Collection."
This year I chose the John Lennon and Yoko Ono classic, “Happy Xmas (War is Over.)” I had so much fun working on this one! I hope you enjoy my take on it and consider it a worthy addition to my ever-growing Christmas Collection. Thanks for listening!! - Ryan (Sleeping At Last)" 

3. The Civil Wars- Oh Come, oh come Emmanuel 

ALWAYS worth a listen. 



Who doesn't love the adorable Zooey Deschanel + M. Ward duo. 


Great harmonies and good causes. 

The album is a pay what you like kind of deal. Either for free or whatever is donated goes in support of Invisible Children.

"All tips received during this Christmas season will go to support the programs of Invisible Children directed at the reconciliation of children displaced from their homes by the LRA. No child should be away from their families, especially during the holidays. Help us give to this organization working towards bringing these families back together."

The Branches are for fans who enjoy Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers and The Head and the Heart. 



With that, I hope you all have a fantastic holiday.  Drink some hot cocoa for me, tell me a fun story and take a moment to value the importance of what this season means. 

No comments:

Post a Comment